23.3.10

A Raisin in the Sun

I have seen this play a few times, both versions that are on film and in person. I have always thought it was a good story but I have never quite understood the title; I mean does a title have to make perfect sense with the story? I think that Walter and Beneatha were both being very selfish and spoiled throughout the whole story. For one thing, they should have more respect for the money because it came from their father’s life insurance; if it weren’t for him and Mama they wouldn’t even have the money. Mama had every right to go put a down payment on that house because the money was hers. If I had been in the same situation I would have put the down payment on the house and then given some to Beneatha for school and put the rest in a savings account. Mama should never have listened to Walter and never should have trusted him with the rest of the money. She was very foolish but I can understand why she did; he is her only son and she wanted to trust and believe in him. Then again Walter was being extremely unfair to Mama and the whole family, so she may have done it just to shut him up. I admire the whole family for standing up for themselves and not giving in to Mr. Linder’s proposals and just as a side note, I think its funny that the actor who plays Mr. Linder is the voice of Piglet from Winnie the Pooh. I really like the end of the play because everything seems to work out the way it should. I would love to find a small house with a fenced in yard where I could plant a little garden and have my own little world.

1 comment:

  1. The title comes from the Langston Hughes poem, "Harlem." What happens to a dream deferred?

    ReplyDelete